Last updated July 17, 2020
- What Data We Get
- How We Use Your Information
- Disclosing Your Information To Third Parties
- Your Choices
- Data Retention
- Security Of Your Information
- Children’s Information
- Other Provisions
What Data We Get
We collect certain data from you directly, like information you enter yourself, data about your registration, and data from third-party platforms you connect with StudyVent. We also collect some data automatically, like information about your device and what parts of our Services you interact with or spend time using.
When you create an account and use the Services, including through a third-party platform, we collect any data you provide directly, including:
- Account Creation: When you create a user account, we collect your name, email address, and password and we may ask you to optionally provide demographic or other information such as your school, gender, age or birthdate, zip code, and information about your interests and preferences.
- Your Communications with Us. We collect personal information from you such as email address, phone number, or mailing address when you request information about our Services, register for our newsletter or loyalty program, request customer or technical support, apply for a job, or otherwise communicate with us.
- Communications with Others on Our Platforms. The Services may allow community members to communicate and collaborate with each other, including some Services that allow community members to engage in one-on-one communication using a text chat feature. Our servers may record, and we may retain records of the content of any such user-to-user communications.
- Payment and Financial Information. We will process your payment information if you purchase services through our Services. Note that we do not store payment credit or debit card numbers.
- If you utilize the Services in a way that necessitates payment from StudyVent to you, we may collect additional information from you, such as your bank account information, social security number, or taxpayer identification number, as necessary to facilitate payment and to comply with related legal obligations.
- Surveys. We may contact you to participate in surveys. If you decide to participate, you may be asked to provide certain information which may include personal information.
- Social Media Content. We may offer forums, blogs, or social media pages. Any content you provide on these channels will be considered "public" and is not subject to privacy protections.
Automatic Data Collection. We may collect certain information automatically when you use the Services including your Internet protocol (IP) address, user settings, MAC address, cookie identifiers, mobile carrier, mobile advertising and other unique identifiers, details about your browser, operating system or device, location information, Internet or mobile service provider, pages that you visit before, during and after using the Services, information about the links you click, and other information about how you use the Services, including information collected from interactive services (including our e-Reader), such as notes you take and engagement during study sessions. In addition, we may automatically collect data regarding your use of our Services, such as the types of content you interact with and the frequency and duration of your activities. We may combine your information with information that other people provide when they use our Services, including information about you when they tag you.
- Cookies. Cookies are small text files placed in visitors' computer browsers to store their preferences. Most browsers allow you to block and delete cookies. However, if you do that, the Services may not work properly.
- Pixel Tags/Web Beacons. A pixel tag (also known as a web beacon) is a piece of code embedded in the Services that collects information about users' engagement on that web page. The use of a pixel allows us to record, for example, that a user has visited a particular web page or clicked on a particular advertisement.
- Embedded Scripts: Embedded scripts are programming code designed to collect information about your interactions with the Services, such as the links you click on. The code is temporarily downloaded onto your computer or other device from our server or a third-party service provider and is deactivated or deleted when you disconnect from the Services.
- Flash & HTML5:We use Local Storage Objects (LSOs) such as HTML5 to store content, information and preferences. Third parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity use LSOs such as HTML 5 & Flash to collect and store information. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 LSOs.
Our uses of these Technologies fall into the following general categories:
- Strictly necessary. These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through our Websites and to use some of its features, such as access to secure areas. These include cookies that ensure security, prevent fraud, and debug where your data can be used to monitor for and prevent fraudulent activity, and ensure systems and processes work properly and securely and that technically deliver ads or content so your device can receive and send information that allows you to see and interact with ads and content.
- Store and/or access information on a device. Cookies, device identifiers, or other information can be stored or accessed on your device for the purposes presented to you.
- Personalised ads and ad measurement. Ads can be shown to you based on the content you're viewing, the app you're using, your approximate location, or your device type. A profile can be built about you and your interests to show you personalized ads that are relevant to you. The performance and effectiveness of ads that you see or interact with can be measured.
- Personalised content, content measurement, audience insights, and product development. A profile can be built about you and your interests to show you personalised content that is relevant to you. The performance and effectiveness of content that you see or interact with can be measured. Market research can be used to learn more about the audiences who visit sites/apps and view ads. Your data can be used to improve existing systems and software, and to develop new products.
- Precise geolocation data, and identification through device scanning. Data from offline data sources can be combined with your online activity in support of one or more purposes. Different devices can be determined as belonging to you or your household in support of one or more of purposes.
- Information from Other Sources. We may obtain information about you from other sources, including through third-party services and organizations to supplement information provided by you. For example, if you access our Services through a third-party application, such as an app store, a third-party login service, or a social networking site or you log in to a third party's service using your StudyVent credentials, we may collect information about you from that third-party application that you have made public via your privacy settings. Information we collect through these services may include your name, your user identification number, your user name, location, gender, birth date, email address or other contact information, profile picture, activities such as test completion and results, and your contacts stored in that service. This supplemental information allows us to verify information that you have provided to us and to enhance our ability to provide you with information about our business, products, and Services
- Analytics. We may also use Google Analytics and other service providers to collect information regarding visitor behavior and visitor demographics on our Services. For more information about Google Analytics, please visit www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/ . You can opt out of Google's collection and processing of data generated by your use of the Services by going to http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout .
How We Use Your Information
We use your information for a variety of business purposes and to fulfil our contract with you and provide you with our Services, such as:
- Managing your information and accounts;
- Providing access to certain areas, functionalities, and features of our Services including providing access to digital documents;
- Communicating with you about your account, activities on our Services and policy changes;
- Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service or device;
- Processing your financial information and other payment methods for products or Services purchased;
- Providing advertising, analytics and marketing services;
- Processing transactions and applications; and
- Allowing you to register for events.
Analyze and improve our Services pursuant to our legitimate interest, such as:
- Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity;
- Measuring interest and engagement in our Services and short-term, transient use, such as contextual customization of ads;
- Undertaking research for technological development and demonstration;
- Researching and developing products, services, marketing or security procedures to improve their performance, resilience, reliability or efficiency;
- Improving, upgrading or enhancing our Services or device;
- Developing new products and Services;
- Ensuring internal quality control;
- Verifying your identity and preventing fraud;
- Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- Enforcing our terms and policies; and
- Complying with our legal obligations, protecting your vital interest, or as may be required for the public good.
- Provide you with additional content and Services, such as:
- Furnishing you with customized materials about offers, products, and Services that may be of interest, including new content or Services;
- Auditing relating to interactions, transactions and other compliance activities; and
- Other purposes you consent to, are notified of, or are disclosed when you provide personal information.
Automated profiling. We may use technologies considered automated decision making or profiling. We will not make automated decisions about you that would significantly affect you, unless such a decision is necessary as part of a contract we have with you, we have your consent, or we are permitted by law to use such technology. You may escalate any concerns you have by contacting us below.
Use De-identified and Aggregated Information. We may use personal information and other data about you to create de-identified and aggregated information, such as de-identified demographic information, de-identified location information, information about the computer or device from which you access our Services, or other analyses we create.
Share Content with Friends or Colleagues. The Services may offer referral features whereby users may invite friends to use the Services. We will invite the referred individual through a one-time email and will not use this information for other purposes. The referred person may contact us at email@example.com to request that we remove this information from our active database.
Additionally, we may enable you to "like" a product within our Services. If you choose to "like" or "share" content or to otherwise post information from or via the Services to a third-party web site, feature or application, that information may be publicly displayed, and the third-party web site may have access to information about you and your use of our Services.
Testimonials. We display personal testimonials of satisfied customers on our Services in addition to other endorsements. With your consent we may post your testimonial along with your name. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cross-Device Tracking. Your browsing activity may be tracked across different websites and different devices or apps. For example, we may attempt to match your browsing activity on your mobile device with your browsing activity on your laptop. To do this our technology partners may share data, such as your browsing patterns, geo-location and device identifiers, and will match the information of the browser and devices that appear to be used by the same person.
Notice Regarding Third-Party Websites. The Services may contain links to other websites, and other websites may reference or link to our website or other Services. These other websites are not controlled by us. We encourage our users to read the privacy policies of each website and application with which they interact. We do not endorse, screen or approve and are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such other websites or applications. Visiting these other websites or applications is at your own risk.
APIs and SDKs. We may use third-party APIs and software development kits ("SDKs") as part of the functionality of our Services. APIs and SDKs may allow third parties including analytics and advertising partners to collect your personal information for various purposes including to provide analytics services and content that is more relevant to you. For more information about our use of APIs and SDKs, please contact us as set forth below.
Disclosing Your Information To Third Parties
Except as provided below, we do not share/disclose/sell your personal information. For lists of categories of personal information disclosed for a business purpose or sold in the last 12 months, please see.
We do not share your Personal Information with third parties for their marketing purposes without your consent.
We may share non-Personal Information (such as aggregate user statistics, de-identified information, demographic information such as gender, age, graduation years, and other scholastic-related information), and Usage Information with third parties, including advertisers, content providers, and analytics providers; and third parties may collect non-Personal Information when you visit the Services.
Sweepstakes, Contests and Promotions: We may offer sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions ("Promotion") that may require registration. By participating in a Promotion, you are agreeing to governing terms, conditions or official rules, which may contain specific requirements of you, including allowing the sponsor(s) of the Promotion to use your name, voice, likeness or other indicia of persona in advertising or marketing associated with the Promotion. If you choose to enter a Promotion, Personal Information, such as your name and shipping address, may be disclosed to third parties or the public in connection with the administration of such Promotion, including, without limitation, in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment, and as required by law or permitted by the Promotion's official rules, such as on a winners list.
Service Providers. We may share any personal information we collect about you with our third-party service providers. The categories of service providers (processors) to whom we entrust personal information include: IT and related services; information and services; payment processors; customer service providers; and vendors to support the provision of the Services.
Business Partners. We may provide personal information to business partners with whom we jointly offer products or services. In such cases, our business partner's name will appear along with ours.
Affiliates. We may share personal information with our affiliated companies.
Advertising Partners. Through our Services, we may allow third-party advertising partners to set technologies and other tracking tools to collect information regarding your activities and your device (e.g., your IP address, mobile identifiers, page(s) visited, location, time of day). We may also combine and share such information and other information (such as demographic information and past purchase history) with third-party advertising partners. These advertising partners may use this information (and similar information collected from other websites) for purposes of delivering targeted advertisements to you when you visit the third-party websites within their networks. This practice is commonly referred to as "interest-based advertising" or "online behavioral advertising. We may allow access to other data collected by the Services to share information that may be useful, relevant, valuable or otherwise of interest to you. If you prefer not to share your personal information with third-party advertising partners, you may follow the instructions below.
LiveRamp. We may share information that we may collect from you, such as your email (in hashed, de-identified form), IP address, or information about your browser or operating system with our partner, LiveRamp Inc and its group companies ("LiveRamp"). LiveRamp may use a cookie on your browser and match your shared information to their on- and offline marketing databases and those of its advertising partners to create a link between your browser and information in those other databases. To opt out of LiveRamp's targeted advertising, please visit
Disclosures to Protect Us or Others. We may access, preserve, and disclose any information we store associated with you to external parties if we, in good faith, believe doing so is required or appropriate to: comply with law enforcement or national security requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; protect your, our or others' rights, property, or safety; enforce our policies or contracts; collect amounts owed to us; or assist with an investigation or prosecution of suspected or actual illegal activity.
Disclosures During Academic Investigations. We may disclose your information, including personal information upon request of an academic institution connected to an investigation into academic integrity.
Disclosure in the Event of Merger, Sale, or Other Asset Transfers. If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, purchase or sale of assets, or transition of service to another provider, then your information may be sold or transferred as part of such a transaction, as permitted by law and/or contract.
International Data Transfers. You agree that all information processed by us may be transferred, processed, and stored anywhere in the world, including but not limited to, the United States or other countries, which may have data protection laws that are different from the laws where you live. We have taken appropriate safeguards to require that your personal information will remain protected and require our third-party service providers and partners to have appropriate safeguards as well. Further details can be provided upon request.
Categories of Information Disclosed for a Business Purpose
In the past 12 months, StudyVent may have disclosed the following categories of information about consumers for a business purpose:
- Name and Other Identifiers such as real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, internet protocol address, email address, account name, social security number, driver's license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.
- Purchase History: Records of services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
- Network Activity Information including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer's interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement.
- Geolocation Data.
- Professional or Employment-Related Information.
- Education Information.
- Inference's Drawn from any of the information above to create a profile about a consumer reflecting their preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes
Categories of Information Sold
In the past 12 months, StudyVent may have sold the following categories of information about consumers:
- Name and Other Identifiers Internet protocol address, device ID.
- Network Activity Information including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer's interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement.
- Geolocation Data.
You have certain choices about your personal information. Where you have consented to the processing of your personal information, you may withdraw that consent at any time and prevent further processing by contacting us as described below. Even if you opt out, we may still collect and use non-personal information regarding your activities on our Services and for other legal purposes as described above.
Email and Telephone Communications.
We process requests to be placed on do-not-mail, do-not-phone and do-not-contact lists as required by applicable law.
You may be able to opt-in to receiving text messages from StudyVent. You may opt-out by replying "STOP" to one of the text messages received.
We will send you push notifications if you agree to receive them regarding updates on the Services and other items that may be relevant to you.
"Do Not Track." Do Not Track ("DNT") is a privacy preference that users can set in certain web browsers. Please note that we do not respond to or honor DNT signals or similar mechanisms transmitted by web browsers.
Cookies and Interest-Based Advertising. You may stop or restrict the placement of Technologies on your device or remove them by adjusting your preferences as your browser or device permits. The online advertising industry also provides websites from which you may opt out of receiving targeted ads from data partners and other advertising partners that participate in self-regulatory programs. You can access these and learn more about targeted advertising and consumer choice and privacy, at www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp, http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/, https://youradchoices.ca/choices/, and www.aboutads.info/choices/. To separately make choices for mobile apps on a mobile device, you can download DAA's AppChoices application from your device's app store. Alternatively, for some devices you may use your device's platform controls in your settings to exercise choice.
To manage Flash LSOs please click here: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html
Please note you must separately opt out in each browser and on each device. Advertisements on third-party websites that contain the AdChoices link may have been directed to you based on information collected by advertising partners over time and across websites. These advertisements provide a mechanism to opt out of the advertising partners' use of this information for interest-based advertising purposes.
Updating Your Account Information. You may be able to review the information you provided to us on a Service and make any desired changes to the information, or to the settings for your account on that Service, by logging in to your account for that Service and editing or deleting the information.
Your Privacy Rights.
In accordance with applicable law, you may have the right to:
- Access to/Portability of Personal Data about you consistent with legal requirements. In addition, you may have the right in some cases to receive or have your electronic Personal Data transferred to another party.
- Request Correction of your personal information where it is inaccurate or incomplete. In some cases, we may provide self-service tools that enable you to update your personal information or we may refer you to the controller of your personal information who is able to make the correction.
- Request Deletion of your personal information, subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law.
- Request restriction of or object to processing of your personal information, including the right to opt in or opt out of the sale of your Personal Data to third parties, if applicable, where such requests are permitted by law.
CLOSING YOUR ACCOUNT.
If you wish to close your account with one of our Services, please send your request to email@example.com indicating which Service(s) you wish to close from the email account that you have registered with StudyVent.
Security Of Your Information
By using the Services or providing personal information to us, you agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the Services. If we learn of a security system's breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically by posting a notice on the Services, by mail or by sending an e-mail to you.
The Services are not directed to children under 13. Parents or legal guardians ("Parents") must provide their verified consent for the collection, use, or disclosure of a child's personal information. StudyVent will not collect, use, or disclose any personal information from a child if their parent or guardian does not provide such consent.
If you are located in the European Economic Area or the UK, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority if you believe our processing of your personal information violates applicable law.
Nauheimer Strasse 11
What are cookies?
Cookies set by the website owner (in this case, StudyVent) are called "first-party cookies". Cookies set by parties other than the website owner are called "third-party cookies". Third-party cookies enable third-party features or functionality to be provided on or through the website (e.g. to make it easier for you to use our Services and place orders, targeted advertising, to perform interactive content, and to conduct analytics). The parties that set these third-party cookies can recognize your computer both when it visits the website in question and also when it visits certain other websites.
Some cookies we use are "persistent". If you do not log out of your account, then the next time you visit, the persistent cookie will allow us to recognize you as an existing user so you will not need to log in before using the Services. We also use "session" cookies, which are used to identify a particular visit. Session cookies expire after a short time or when you close your web browser.
We use first-party and third-party cookies for several reasons. Some cookies are required for technical reasons in order for our Website to operate, and we refer to these as "essential" or "strictly necessary" cookies. Other cookies also enable us to track and target the interests of our users to enhance the experience on our Website. Third parties serve cookies through our Website for advertising, analytics and other purposes. This is described in more detail below.
You can opt-out of each cookie category (except strictly necessary cookies) by clicking on the "cookie settings" button below:
The specific types of first- and third-party cookies served through our Website and the purposes they perform are described in the table below.
Types of cookies
Essential website cookies:
These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through our Websites and to use some of its features, such as access to secure areas.
Performance and functionality cookies:
These cookies are used to enhance the performance and functionality of our Websites but are non-essential to their use. However, without these cookies, certain functionality may become unavailable.
Analytics and customisation cookies:
These cookies collect information that is used either in aggregate form to help us understand how our Websites are being used or how effective are marketing campaigns are, or to help us customise our Websites for you.
These cookies are used to make advertising messages more relevant to you. They perform functions like preventing the same ad from continuously reappearing, ensuring that ads are properly displayed for advertisers, and in some cases selecting advertisements that are based on your interests.
Social networking cookies:
These cookies are used to enable you to share pages and content that you find interesting on our Websites through third party social networking and other websites. These cookies may also be used for advertising purposes too.
What about other tracking technologies, like web beacons or embedded scripts?
Cookies are not the only way to recognize or track visitors to a website. We as well as our affiliate program partners, service providers, and other third parties may use other, similar technologies from time to time, like web beacons (sometimes called "tracking pixels" or "clear gifs"). These are tiny graphics files that contain a unique identifier that enable us to recognize when someone has visited our Website and track their online movements for our affiliate program. This allows us to monitor the traffic patterns of users within our Website, to understand whether you have come to our Website from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website and help improve the overall quality and experience of our Services. We tie the information gathered by clear gifs to our customers' Personal Information. In many instances, these technologies are reliant on cookies to function properly, and so declining cookies will impair their functioning.
An Embedded Script: is programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the Services, such as the links you click on. The code is temporarily downloaded onto your computer or other device from our server or a third-party service provider and is deactivated or deleted when you disconnect from the Services.
Do you use Flash cookies or Local Shared Objects?
Our Website also use so-called "Flash Cookies" (also known as Local Shared Objects or "LSOs") such as HTML5 to, among other things, collect and store information about your use of our services, fraud prevention and for other site operations. Third parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity use LSOs to collect and store information.
If you do not want Flash Cookies stored on your computer, you can adjust the settings of your Flash player to block Flash Cookies storage using the tools contained in the Website Storage Settings Panel . You can also control Flash Cookies by going to the Global Storage Settings Panel and following the instructions (which may include instructions that explain, for example, how to delete existing Flash Cookies (referred to "information" on the Macromedia site), how to prevent Flash LSOs from being placed on your computer without your being asked, and (for Flash Player 8 and later) how to block Flash Cookies that are not being delivered by the operator of the page you are on at the time).
What about Do Not Track?
Please note that your browser setting may allow you to automatically transmit a "Do Not Track" signal to web sites and online service you visit. There is no consensus among industry participants as to what "Do Not Track" means in this context. Like many web sites and online services, StudyVent does not alter its practices when it receives a "Do Not Track" signal from a visitor's browser.
Do you serve targeted advertising?
StudyVent works with network advertisers, ad agencies, analytics service providers and other vendors for advertising and analytics services. The advertisements you see will be served by one or more third parties, who use information collected over time about your activities on the Services, and other websites, to provide you targeted advertising based upon your interests. They may also employ technology that is used to measure the effectiveness of advertisements. This can be accomplished by them using cookies or web beacons to collect information about your visits to this and other sites in order to provide relevant advertisements about goods and services of potential interest to you.
StudyVent shares non-Personal Information: de-identified (including hashed) information, location information, demographic information, and Usage Information with these third parties. The information collected through this process does not enable us or them to identify your name, contact details or other personally identifying details.
How can I control cookies?
You have the right to decide whether to accept or reject cookies. You can exercise your cookie preferences by clicking on the appropriate opt-out links provided via the Cookie Settings button above.
In addition, most advertising networks participate in a self-regulatory program that allows you to opt-out of targeted advertising.
If you use the Services through a mobile device or one of our mobile applications, we will collect Usage Information. You can turn off the collection of precise location information through your Device settings. We could still infer your approximate location through other information we collect, such as IP address.
Where can I get further information?